A 36yr old man died from a from a shark attack off Fraser Island last Saturday afternoon (4th July).
Matthew Tratt, a father of two from the Sunshine Coast and a keen fisherman was with his brother spear fishing on the northeast of the Island at Indian Head.
It is known to locals and to the police that the area is a hot spot for the great whites as they travel north to this area during the winter. “We know this yet there aren’t any warnings on the island”. – Vic Hislop.
The shark attack happened around 2pm, causing significant injuries to his leg. He was already unconscious as his brother (Rob) managed to bring him up onto rocks. One of the bystanders was an off-duty nurse who started performing CPR.
A RACQ Lifeflight Rescue helicopter flew in from the Sunshine coast, winching down and a doctor and paramedic. They worked to save him for more than an hour before he died at the scene just after 4.30pm.
The Lifeflight helicopter brought his body over to Hervey Bay. Police are preparing a report for the Coroner.
Matthew had previously saved a young man’s life from drowning at the Gold Coast in Jan 2017.
Matthew leaves behind his wife Kayla, and two children Sienna and Taj. “Matt was an amazing dad and an amazing husband”.
It’s the fourth shark-related death in Australia this year. A wildlife ranger Zachary Robba, 23, was also killed by a great white shark in the same location in April.
- QLD Police: Fatal shark attack, Fraser Island
- CNN: Australian man dies after a shark attack near Queensland’s Fraser Island
- BBC: Australia shark attack: Man killed spearfishing near Fraser Island
- The Guardian: Australian shark attack: man dies after being bitten near Queensland’s Fraser Island
- Sky News: Scuba diver dies after shark attack near Fraser Island tourist hotspot in Australia
- Yahoo: Man, 36, dies after being bitten by shark while spearfishing
- MSN: Father of two killed by shark at Fraser Island
- Standard: Shark kills spearfisherman off Qld island
- The Courier: Shark kills spearfisherman off Qld island
- News.com.au: Man dies after shark attack at popular tourist beach
- SMH: Spearfisher killed in Fraser Island shark attack
- The Age: ‘Hearts are hurting’: Tributes flow for shark victim as Fraser community reels
- Examiner: shark kills spearfisherman off Qld island
Have you picked up a copy of our magazine?
Available at Hervey Bay Stockland’s, Night Owl, Food n Groove, Maryborough Art Gallery, and various other newsagents throughout the Fraser Coast..
Recent Posts / View All Posts
A Cappella – it’s all about harmony and sisterhood Story by Marianne Kresse, Photos supplied by Armella Pratt Did you know that Hervey Bay has its own A Cappella Chorus?…
Cate Akaveka from Books by the Sea, formerly Mary Ryan’s, has given the shop a new look at their new location on the Esplanade in Hervey Bay The book shop…
From Gutter to Glory Success stories from Bayside Transformations Ice destroys lives. It tears families apart. But Joshua Alsop and Zack Walthall are living proof that the destruction caused by…
Tori-Jay Mordey is a 24-year-old local Indigenous artist who began drawing when she was very young. She was raised in the Torres Straits on Thursday Island but spent a majority…
Dial A Driver (D.A.D) is a company created by owner Rob Braddock that has been servicing Hervey Bay and Maryborough since 1984. It is currently in the process of setting…
I am often asked from where I source my inspirational stories. Is it from my worldly, educated grasp of current affairs? My uncanny ability at reading people, or maybe my…